Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lefse Veggie Wraps with Tahini-Peanut Sauce

Spinach is the big star of the blog lately, because it's in prime production out in the garden right now. We've had a few pretty hot days, so my nice little spinach patch is already starting to go to seed. I should still get good leaves for the next week or so, and will probably plant another course later this summer.
Lefse, if you've never had it, is the Norwegian tortilla. Potatoes and wheat flour are the primary ingredients, and growing up we always ate it with sugar and butter. I've never used lefse for non-sweet purposes, but I have a few ideas for an old favorite. This lefse is locally made, from Freddy's Lefse in West Fargo, ND.
On to the wraps - use whatever veggies you have on hand, but I like them heavy on greens. Also featured is my last golden-orange tomato (more on those tomatoes soon) and a little roasted red pepper. The tahini-peanut sauce is a slight variation of a salad dressing I make sometimes.

Tahini-Peanut Sauce
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
dash red pepper flakes

1. Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor, or with a fork.

1 comment:

K. said...

Do you have a recipe for vegan lefse? My family always eats it for the holidays, but it's never vegan so I've never tried it. It looks so good here!!